Once a user is logged in to QuickBooks accounting software, QB desktop automatically creates an admin user. At various times, when you are required to utilize other login references by admin, then security-related or other sort of updates will require you to reset your password. This blog will enlighten you to fix QuickBooks Company File Incorrect Password.
What causes QuickBooks company file incorrect password error?
One or more of the following reasons may lead to the Company File incorrect password error:
- Sometimes, passwords are case sensitive
- There might be some missing or incorrect accessibility settings
- Open ‘Control Panel‘ > select ‘Accessibility‘ options and make sure that no box on any of tabs is checked
- Spaces are also been considered as part of the password
- Sometimes, when we generate the password, unknowingly, the spaces are recorded while submission of the password
- Incorrect keyboard Function
- You can submit in the notepad to check whether your password is properly working
- The appearance of an incorrect login screen
- When the login screen appears in some cases without the username on the admin login screen then, you need to reopen it
The perfect password hacks while creating a password, you are required to make complex password instructions as per it need to have minimum seven characters (consisted of at least one number, letters, special character, and one upper case letter).
See Also: How to Fix QuickBooks Error 6000?
How to Troubleshoot QuickBooks Company File Incorrect Password error?
You can perform the following steps to fix the QuickBooks Company File incorrect password error. You can also go with QuickBooks customer service helpline if you want an expert guidance.
Step 1: Use Password Reset Tool
Password reset tool is an automated tool for the QuickBooks Desktop that’s primarily used to reset the QuickBooks admin password. If a user forgets the password, this tool comes handy. Users will have to enter 15 digit license number, full name, phone number, and postcode. These details are validated as per the registration information saved in a database. If in case any of information mismatches when a product is registered then it leads to failure of the request.
How to Use an Automated Password Reset tool for QuickBooks Desktop?
Start by selecting the tool depending on the version of desktop you use as per US-version, UK- Version or Canadian Version:
Step 1: Find out the version of a desktop
You are required to have knowledge of the product version and then release number and then the select product from the list and learn how to identify the version, release the data and follow some instructions. To know How to check the product version & release of your QuickBooks click on the given here.
- For the statement writer: In QB select reports and then statement writer, when a program is up, choose ‘Option > help > about QuickBooks statement writers‘
- Merchant service: QuickBooks uses merchant services, thus there is no release or version.
- Basic or advanced QuickBooks Payroll: Select “Employees” > “Payroll Centers” and then choose the Payroll tab.
- For QuickBooks Mac and POS: Choose “Help > product information“. Here entire version release information can be seen.
You may also like: How to Fix QuickBooks Error 404?
Step 2: Select QuickBooks Version that was updated formerly to your QuickBooks Company File
- Select version section, type in your license number and other business details during registration of the accounting software and then click on submit
- Now, accept accepting license agreement and download
- Type in token number sent in your email and choose the version in the drop-down menu of QuickBooks products
- Submit new password, confirm and click reset password
If you’re changing a user password
- Sign in using the credentials of admin. If you aren’t an admin and don’t have access to admin credentials, contact the person who has the access
- Go to Company and choose Set Up Users and Passwords
- Select Set Up Users
- After being prompted, enter the admin password again
- Once you see the User List, select the user that requires a password change
- Next, select Edit User
- Enter a new password
- Select Next twice and press Finish. If you (or the user) need to sign in on this computer, access the File menu and select Close Company/Logoff. You should be able to sign in with your user name and the new password.
Read Also: How to Fix QuickBooks Error 6000, 301?
If you’re changing the admin password
As a security step, you would need to confirm/provide some information.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop (QBDT)
- Click I forgot my password link at the login window
- Fill in the details on the form that appears
- Click OK button
- If you enter correct information, you would receive a code at your registered (primary) email address
- Copy the code from your email and enter that in QuickBooks Desktop
- You would be guided through the steps for creating a new admin password
If the password reset fails
Check the details you entered. Check for types and spelling errors and make sure the information matches what you have in CAMPS.
We hope that you find this article informative. In case you have any query or need assistance of an expert, call us at +1-844-405-0907. Our QuickBooks error support team will help you in such type of accounting problems.
Few other helpful links